Marcus Mosiah Garvey
Scholarship Essay Contest
The Board of Directors of C.A.R.E. for Change Inc., and the friends of the Marcus Garvey Leadership Charter School are pleased to announce the annual Marcus Garvey Leadership Charter School Higher Education Scholarship. The scholarship is an annual scholarship for 1st year students attending an accredited college/university or state approved technical school (must be a part of the Career-Tech system or an Oklahoma institution of Higher Education).
How to Enter
Students are to submit application and essays to 3621 N. Kelley Avenue, Suite 100, Oklahoma City, OK 7311, no later than February 27th at 11:59 pm.
The contest is open to 1st year students attending any accredited institution of higher education or any institution that is part of the Oklahoma Career Tech system or affiliated with any accredited Oklahoma college or university. Students can receive the scholarship 1 time only during their 1st year of enrollment.
Topics & Length
Please write a detailed essay about your experiences at the Marcus Garvey Leadership Charter School. The essay should include (each letter below must be addressed)
- A. Teachers and staff you remember and the impact they have had on your life.
- B. Friends and family you remember and the impact they have had on your life.
- C. The MGLCS mission statement and what the mission statement meant to you then and now.
- D. The MGLCS tenants of Discipline, Pride and Respect. What they meant to you then and how they have impacted your success thus far in life.
- E. Please describe how the Marcus Garvey Leadership Charter School experience impacted your life at school, home and community during middle school, high school and currently.
Format: 8 1/2 inch by 11-inch paper. One inch margin with at least 12 point font and not to exceed 14 point font. Pages should be numbered
All entries must complete a cover sheet and attach it to the essay. Scholarship recipients will be awarded checks in March 10th 2017 at C.A.R.E. for Change Inc., 3621 North Kelley Avenue, Suite 101, OKC, OK 73111.
- Each contestant must complete an entry form.
- No entry fee is required.
- Typewritten entries are required
- Each entry must have a cover page containing the student’s full name; Student’s university, classification and major/minor
- EACH SUBMISSION MUST HAVE PROOF OF CURRENT ENROLLMENT
- All submissions become the property of C.A.R.E. for Change Inc.
- Monetary prizes will be awarded on March 10th, 2017
2. Mechanical correctness
3. Sentence fluency
4. Word choice
7. Idea development